Section 1 - Geographical regions called zones shall be established consisting of a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 30 affiliated chapters, which shall each have a Zone Director who shall represent their zone membership and serve on the Board of Directors.
Section 2 - Association zones shall consist of affiliated chapters located in the following counties:
- Zone I: Clatsop, Columbia, Tillamook, Washington and Yamhill, and chapters located in Multnomah County not assigned to Zone II;
- Zone II: Clackamas, Gilliam, Hood River, Multnomah, Sherman and Wasco;
- Zone III: Benton, Lincoln, Linn, Marion and Polk, and chapters located in Yamhill County not assigned to Zone I;
- Zone IV: Coos, Curry and Lane, and chapters located in Douglas County not assigned to Zone V;
- Zone V: Douglas, Jackson, Josephine and Klamath;
- Zone VI: Crook, Deschutes, Grant, Harney, Jefferson, Lake and Wheeler; and
- Zone VII: Baker, Malheur, Morrow, Umatilla, Union and Wallowa.
Section 3 - Effective January 1, 2020, there shall be 5 year periods for the Association to assess its zone representation ratios in the event there has been at least a 20% total increase or decrease in represented bargaining unit employees and/or represented chapters decrease below 10 or increase above 30 in any zone(s) during the first 3 years of any 5-year period. If such an increase or decrease occurs, in the 4th year of that 5-year period, the President shall, with the advice and consent of the Board of Directors, appoint a Reapportionment Committee consisting of 1 activemember in good standing from each zone immediately following the Annual Conference. The President shall appoint the committee chair from among the committee members. No member of the Board of Directors shall be appointed to or serve on this committee.
Section 4 - If deemed necessary by the Board of Directors, the Board of Directors may convene the Zone Reapportionment Committee at any time to review the appropriateness of the existing zone structure.
Section 5 - It shall be the sole duty of this committee to review, research and determine the proper ratio of represented employees and number of represented chapters currently assigned to each zone in order to establish the most equitable balance possible, in accordance with Section 1 above, with consideration taken for weather, geographical obstacles and the Annual Conference chapter delegate allocation.
- Prior to beginning its work, the President shall meet with and provide the committee direction and clarity of purpose.
- The Association shall provide any data, information and resources deemed necessary by the committee in order to research, analyze and reapportion existing zones; create new zones; or eliminate existing zones when needed to attain balance.
- During the course of its work, the committee shall seek input and suggestions from the Board of Directors.
Section 6 - The committee shall submit its final recommendations to the Board of Directors no later than October 1 in the fifth (5th) year of any cycle. The Board of Directors shall take action on the recommendations at a regular or special Board meeting which shall be open to the membership. Any action to adopt or reject the committee’s recommendations shall require a ⅔ vote of the Board of Directors. Any committee recommendations for reapportionment adopted by the Board of Directors shall become effective the following January 1, except as provided in Section 7 below.
- The President shall notify all members whose chapters are affected by a reapportionment immediately following approval by the Board of Directors.
- No chapter of which the current Zone Director is a member shall be assigned to a different zone until after conclusion of that Zone Director’s term of office.
Section 7 - In the event any changes affecting current zones are approved, or if a new zone is approved, the Board of Directors shall prepare and submit a resolution to the Executive Director no later than the following February 1 to amend the Constitution. Such resolution shall contain all necessary provisions to incorporate any additional zone(s) and/or changes affecting current zones.
- Such resolution shall be scheduled for action during the first business session of the Annual Conference prior to any required officer nominations and shall, upon adoption, become effective immediately.
- Except as otherwise provided in Article IX, Section 1, of the Constitution, a Zone Director elected to a new even-numbered zone in an odd-numbered year or a Zone Director elected to a new odd-numbered zone in an even-numbered year shall only be elected and serve for a 1 year term of office. Any subsequent elections and terms of these Zone Director positions shall be in accordance with Article IX, Sections 1 and 2, of this Constitution.